Following on from ‘Blood Magic’. Should Astartoth; the Prince of Pride be trusting of Lavinia and her magic? Probably not….
– The Young Scholar’s mouth stayed shut as he listened to the Prince of Pride speak to the Elder , having seen them continue to speak about the relations in the kingdoms Oridin had found himself listening to Lavinia without a second thought and came over to her to take what she had asked for. Oridin would take each of the items listed and would then place them into a bag he carried around , knowing that at this point in time he was to be ready ; he was simply glad he carried around a small bag of magical items . Staying quiet alittle bit after hearing what was told to him Oridin mentally prepared for the voyage. But being a Apprentice he wanted one thing in particular. –
Oridin Lexington : ” Elder, since I am to depart soon for Pride ; I wish to ask if I am allowed to delve in your knowledge ? A book or two from your collection , it would be an honor to learn from a mind so divine . A mage can always expand their knowledge and learn no matter where they are , and I wish to not slack even while on a mission .”
– Surely the journey ahead will be a new experience but he would find it to be a special one . Away from home , in a new land devoid of his comfort zones . His mind could tell there would be new things he’d learn , whether it was to help him in his studies or just knowledge to know . –
The Witches Circle
He frowned at Lavinia’s words. He did not like to hear a mention of shift in powers. Not from a witch after hearing it the same day from a genie. Something was really wrong and it seemed to Astaroth that the prince of Gluttony had been thrown smack in the middle of it.
“Is there anything any demon can control?” he muttered rhetorically under his breath as the elder stepped down from her throne. He’d been unlucky enough to hear stories of a gluttonous prince once. To this day he still regretted hearing them. A person that couldn’t stop eating or wanting was simply something Astaroth couldn’t understand. He himself was supposed to be a prince of pride but he was not a proud man. At least, he didn’t feel so.
Lavinia’s mention of the right hand of doom made everything click for Astaroth. He knew what the hand along with a heart could do. But he also knew that it didn’t need to be a proud prince’s heart. It just had to be a prideful heart.
“Is that his goal? To bring destruction upon the world?” he asked angrily, though the anger was not directed at the elder. She did say that the gluttonous prince perhaps didn’t understand the power he now controlled. If anyone was mad enough to wield the right hand of doom and even think of capturing a prideful heart along with it, they most likely didn’t understand anything or were simply in no condition to make decisions about even their underwear for the day.
“It serves me perhaps more than I’d like to admit, but it really puts a damper in my stroll when I can’t do it because of pain. At the rate it’s getting worse and the future it is most likely warning me about, I doubt I’ll be able to move by the end of the week.” which would typically be the time which his attacker would choose to come knocking.
Astaroth looked back at the witch once she mention the time limit and the gift. He was relieved Gluttony only had six days left. Astaroth liked to believe his defenses were good enough to last that long. Especially since he hadn’t received any warning of an approaching army from anywhere around the lake.
He waited patiently while she explained the ritual to the boy. It was not the time to speak nor his place. It was interesting to say the least to see the witch explaining. As Astaroth wasn’t a being that used magic like they did it was fascinating to observe. He would gladly sit through rituals performed by witches and warlocks just to see how it worked. To document the process and make a detailed report on witches and warlocks for future generations to read and learn from.
“Thank you, Elder. I will gladly grant him full access to my library for study and I will do my best to keep the boy safe until he can return here to be raised in rank.” he bowed to Lavinia and turned to Oridin. “I’m afraid I can not travel with you nor can I leave my island to escort you back to my castle. But I will make sure a flag will be waiting for you at any dock you choose to travel from so that you may pass safely over the lake. If you wish I can send someone to keep you even safer on your way.[/b]” he waited for the boy to answer before nodding and removing his crown. He stood for a moment before his body crumbled into the golden sands it came from and Astaroth’s consciousness was transported back to his own body in Pride castle.
[Thread change to Pride Kingdom]
Thankfully Astaroth was not stupid. Nor it seemed consumed as yet by his sin. In a way it was a blessing, but possibly a curse in disguise. The Prince of Pride was a man that used his insight to question the possible actions of others, in particular the other Princes. Astaroth continued to bring up questions, that Lavinia was more than happy to answer. After all, much was at stake and she knew exactly how best to play it.
“Is that his goal? To bring destruction upon the world?” A very good question. Lavinia paused for a moment, as a raven returned from its flight – message delivered. It landed upon the tip of Lavinia’s staff and stared with its black eyes at the Prince, then turned it’s head back to his Mistress, who nodded at the raven before speaking.
“One of hunger does not care what it consumes, so long as there is to be power gained from such. But I guess, that if you were to eat the world hollow, it would collapse therefore bringing its end. Imagine being so obsessed with this never ending hunger, you fail to see just what you are really doing.” Lavinia tutted, but then showed another smile. Knowing full well that Astaroth could rest easy with the fact he had six days to prepare, and with this new gift and the assistance of yet another to his cause. You would think he was blessed in a way to have so much going for him. Servants that would do anything to protect his royal heart.
Having accepted both the gift of the mage’s help and the items he would be carrying with him, Lavinia was happy to see them on their way.
As the Prince had arrived in the unorthodox manner of being nothing more than a golem, she watched the Prince advise the young Mage on what preparations would be made on his arrival at the lake. A flag would be at the dock, allowing safe passage over the lake to the castle proper. Once Astaroth’s body crumbled to nothing but golden sands, Lavinia turned to her young mage.
“I think that went rather well, don’t you?” Her voice having a delicious purr to it.
Pinching a tail feather from her trusty raven, she then tucked it gently into Oridin’s hair. “There…another gift. It will help you when the time comes.” She didn’t say how it would help, but clearly she knew more about the Pride kingdom than she had let on. Raising her hand, she revealed a sparkling golden mist that she then blew towards Oridin. This was to help him travel across to the lake of Pride, where no doubt others were waiting for safe passage.
“Now. You seek books. Feel free to use my library in my house. Take the two you need and then simply say “teleportavimas” You will leave Witches circle and Dyre immediately after.”
Standing not far from where all this had taken place, Esme watched on silently. Her eyes were dilated and she could feel the very dark magic in the air….pulsing through her veins and teasing her mind. Would she be strong enough to fight it when the time came?
– The Apprentice listened to the two exchange words before the Prince of Pride offered allowing the library of Pride to be at his full usage ; it would seem that he would have to take the voyage alone as the Prince of Pride did not arrive naturally. This meant Oridin needed to get there with assistance of sorts ; he did feel a bit unease as going alone was never something he enjoyed but alas he needed to get out there into this world and understand more. The Prince of Pride would soon leave and the Apprentice would bow respectfully as he vanished ; Oridin would listen to the Elder as she had spoken to him as she placed a feather into his hair . He would bow again nervously but all the more gratefully for her help. –
Oridin Lexington :” Thank you for your assistance in my educational pursuits ! ”
– Oridin would run off but would slowly backtrack with a very awkward look in his face before his voice finally came back out . He didn’t know where to go , and felt quite flustered for storming off without having any knowledge of where she lived precisely and he didn’t want to go blindly looking . –
Oridin Lexington : ” Um……. where is your house Elder ? ”
“I know where it is.” Esme stepped out from behind one of the dead trees and offered a warm smile to both her aunt and Oridin. She’d been paying close attention to everything that had gone on and now she saw it may be a good time to step in. Surely Lavinia had more pressing matters, like speaking with her raven now that it had returned out of the two she sent away. Holding her hands in front of her with her fingers laced together, Esme turned side on and allowed Oridin to walk to her side so that the pair might start off together. Being aware that Oridin was to use one of Lavinia’s spells to move across to the lake of Pride, she did have some curiosity over the raven feather that had been gently inserted between locks of Oridin’s hair. Her eyes glanced up towards it with her eyebrows also raised. Not to let on that she was being so inquisitive, she called back to her aunt.
“I’m happy to show him the way back.” Esme added cheefully.
“Very well.” Lavinia’s tone was almost dismissive in its delivery as she returned to her knotted wood throne to sit and stroke her raven.
Knowing it would be foolish to hang around after the matter was done and dusted, Esme started off – reaching up to draw her hood over her head. Her long red cloak billowing behind her. A cool breeze had now whipped up. The chill was enough to raise the hairs on the back of your neck. Almost like a frozen hand strumming the air currents. So very strange. Esme did her best to ignore it.
As the pair walked along, Esme had to ask.
“The Queen is sending you on a very special assignment, but…I have a bad feeling about this.” Esme couldn’t help but get a sense of foreboding about the whole thing. First Lavinia sends Gluttony packing with a powerful banishment, then she brushes off Mariela, the Princess of Greed with a warning…..and now she is gifting Pride and sending the young Mage to do a spell of protection. Esme pursed her lips, but her worry was growing. This time piece that the Dark one spoke of….was doing harm…everywhere.
– Oridin sighed with relief hearing Esme give him a sign of knowing where it was and with that Oridin went to the side of Esme to follow as the Elder dismissed them both. Off they went to the library of Lavinia , while walking Oridin’s mind was full of curious thoughts . How would the Kingdom of Pride be for a person like him ? He wished to know how it was out there when he got there , but before all of that he was curious on the nature of the spells in the library and hoped it expanded the nature of the spells he knew and hoped to learn as well as understand and the information he wished to acquire about the nature of light and dark. He didn’t forget the reason why he ended up in hell. It was all because of that….. kid. –
– He was still curious on why the person was as skilled as he was with magic and the dark arts while having the appearance of a child . But who was that person ? Did he orchestrate Oridin’s being here? The male let out a sigh as he kept on thinking about it , but discarded the notion as he heard Esme speak which broke his train of thought back into reality. –
Oridin Lexington : ” Well I’m sure I should be fine. I’ll brave the possible dangers of the Kingdom of Pride with hopes that I’ll return with ease , but if not then I will come back regardless. I will miss you for the time that I must spend away. Keep me in your thoughts. ”
– Oridin gave a soft smile as he spoke and continued on , with hopes they’d reach the library soon so he could get what he coulld and then depart for the Kingdom of Pride .-
So little was truly known about Oridin. Lavinia had never seemed interested enough to investigate his possible heritage. The only one who took the time to get to know him was Esme, and right now she had mixed emotions about him going on this assignment to Pride on Lavinia’s behalf. Though she had passed on her concerns, Oridin appeared relaxed and even happy to go wandering into the Kingdom of Pride. He went as far to say that he would face any dangers head on, with the hope of returning with ease. Either way, he assured Esme he’d come back regardless. Esme had to admire his courage, and conviction with each passing word, but that didn’t ease the worry in the back of her mind. The pair trudged along together, making their way back from the dead forest and into the more magical setting of the main village. Lavinia’s cottage, which was a simple single storied thatched building made from mud and stone sat in the midst of a beautiful garden that contained not just wildflowers, but also an array of herbs and spices that were handy in many different types of spells.
Opening the hinge timber gate, Esme pushed on through and continued up the path. Lavinia’s library was at the back of the cottage, and they needed to pass through the living area and then down a corridor, once inside the cottage.
Esme’s heart warmed a little, to know that Oridin would miss her for all the time he was away. The young apprentice had found him to be more than just a good friend, but a confidant as well. The many afternoons laying in the wide fields and talking about their latest spells and potions, always made her feel at ease….it was one of the rare chances she had to truly be herself, without her aunt’s sometimes overshadowing control.
Passing Esme’s own little bedroom that was not far off from the library, Esme stopped and then went inside to get something from her small treasure box. Whether Oridin stopped to watch her, she did not know but when she found the trinket, she closed her box and set it back on her dresser, before coming back out again.
“Here…” In her outstretched hand, there was a small broach in the shape of a dragon. It was silver in colour, but when you turned it in the light, the scales of the dragon changed to a swirl of colours…all like a rainbow. “it belonged to….my Father. I want you to wear it and if you are ever in trouble…think of me.” Was there a spell attached to it? It was possible. Esme stared at Oridin and then closed her own fingers over his hand if he took the broach.
“Now…the library.” Having done as much as she could think to help him, she showed him through to where Lavinia kept all of her books.
“It’s a bit dusty in here. Sad to say, I don’t usually come in here if I can help it.” She stood at the door and watched Oridin enter.
– Oridin followed his friend into the cottage upon arrival ; he would stop for several moments here and there to take some self observant notes about the place as he was curious about the nature of the area they were in . Very much so that Esme would be able to go to her room without him noticing as he looked around the cottage interior until she approached him with an item of value –
Oridin Lexington : ” Thank you for this item , I’ll take very good care of it . ”
– When she mentioned that it’d be best to think of her during times of trouble he took the sign as a gesture and he’d smile ; nodding back at her as if telling her he understood. He was a bit flustered and didn’t know what words to say , that much could be seen by the nature of his reaction to her . When Esme had showed the direction to the library Oridin’s jaw slowly opened as he stared , his eyes glowing with interest and fascination about the knowledge that these books may very well have.-
Oridin Lexington : ” So. Much. Books !!! ”